Welcome to 2nd post in the series of my experience with InmotionHosting. In my earlier guide, I shared how one can buy hosting from InMotion hosting & I ended up purchasing 3-year term of their pro plan.
In this guide, you will learn how you can install WordPress on your Inmotion hosting account. As I mentioned in my earlier post, at the time of purchasing hosting, you can also select the option to auto-install WordPress, Or you can install WordPress site/blog after buying hosting like I’m doing right now. So, let’s move ahead with this epic series of get online & learn how to install WordPress in our Inmotion hosting account.
Installing WordPress on Inmotion Hosting:
Before we move ahead, you should know that Inmotion hosting offers custom dashboard & cPanel for account management. Their dashboard is known as AMP (Account Management panel) & from here you can also access your hosting cPanel.
Using AMP, you can do all the tasks such as adding new domains, purchase additional hosting & many more. I will keep this tutorial for the next time. For now, let’s go ahead & look at the options to create WordPress blog in the next 5 minutes.
Login to your Inmotion hosting account (AMP) & look for the option which says “Install popular Softwares” or “Softaculous”.
Install Popular software is a direct link to Softaculous software installer.
- Install Popular software’s: This is a custom solution built by Inmotion hosting technical team to help it’s user install WordPress with a single click. This utilizes Softaculous only for installing WordPress but makes it easier for a newbie to get started. (We will be using it)
- Softaculous: If you have used any of the cPanel hostings before, you must have already seen this. Softaculous is a feature of cPanel which lets you install WordPress & many other software with few clicks. If you are a curious person like me, you can learn more about Softaculous over here.
You can use either of the options for Installing WordPress. Click on Install popular software which would take you to a page like this:
Click on Install WordPress to start the process of creating a WordPress blog or site. This will take you to the cPanel login page & here you need to enter your Inmotion hosting password to log inside the cPanel.
The next page will be a simple page like shown in below screenshot. You need to make few settings for your WordPress installation & within seconds, your blog would be up & running.
WordPress software setup:
The most important thing that you need to take care in here is; you need to decide if you need www or non-www for your domain name. I would suggest don’t use www prefix as shorter domains are better.
This auto WordPress installer tool will create the database name & table prefix automatically, so you don’t need to make any changes here.
Site settings & admin account:
This is an important step where you will be creating your WordPress login username & password. I suggest you use a unique username & password. Also, ensure your email is up to date (that you have access to). You can make changes to Site name & description even after your WordPress is installed.
Limit login plugin:
This is one of the security features which you should enable. Inmotion hosting has taken care of all common threat & selecting this option will protect your WordPress site from Brute force attack, that is the most common type of hacking practice. Checking this box will enable limit login plugin by default & your WordPress installation will be secure from day one.
Once you have verified all the settings, click on Install at the bottom to start the process of installing WordPress.
If you get an error saying:
“The following errors were found:
- Installation cannot proceed because the following files already exist in the target folder:
Please delete these files or choose another folder.OR Select the checkbox to overwrite all files and continue.”
Check the software setup tab & select the option which says overwrite the file. Now, again click on Install at the bottom &, this time, you will see no error.
Usually, it would take about 1-2 minutes for Softaculous to install WordPress on your domain & the next screen you will get the confirmation as soon as it’s done.
Important things to do after WordPress installation:
- You can login to your WordPress dashboard by going to domain.com/wp-admin (replace domain.com with your actual domain name).
- Here are few suggestions for you after installing WordPress for the first time. (Things to do inside WordPress dashboard):
- Delete default post
- Delete default page
- Configure permalink by going to settings> Permalink
3. Install Plugins: Here are few essential plugins for your WordPress blog
- Yoast SEO
- WP Super Cache
- Jetpack plugin
- WP Smush.it
- No self Ping
- Contact form 7
- LeadPages (For lead generation)
Here are few recommended WordPress themes to start your journey:
- Divi theme by Elegant Themes (Best choice)
- Genesis theme by Studiopress
- Official free directory of WordPress theme
- MyThemeShop (Great collection of niche based WordPress themes)
Personally, I prefer using premium WordPress theme over free one, as they are constantly updated & I get priority support. That sum’s up our WordPress installation guide on Inmotion hosting. In the next post, I will share how you can setup WordPress like a pro next time.
Signup for InMotionHosting (Special promo offer + free domain)
Do let me know if you have any question regarding installing WordPress on your hosting account. Do share this guide with your friends & on your social network, as it would help them to start a blog of their own.